In Robin Bright's article "Why Teach Writing"she refers to "The writing process" that I remember being taught in elementary school. The process consisted of stages "that guide writing and continue to inform teachers of writing today." She says "These stages include prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing." Bright goes on to delve into the details of each stage and how they should be carried out. She also addresses the notion of "Writing across the curriculum" that suggests "that writing is no longer thought of as a separate subject to be taught solely in English language arts classrooms but is the work of all teachers." She also discusses assessment and evaluation. Bright claims that feedback is absolutely essential for any student to be successful and improve their writing skills.
All of Bright's analysis is very interesting to me because I am passionate about the preservation of the English Language. I believe that it is through the use of language and ideology that we have the capacity to discuss and debate social issues. If we lose our connection to language and ideas, we lose our ability to question social power constructs and ideologies. Therefore, I appreciate the notion of "Writing across the curriculum" and making effective writing a part of every class.
No comments:
Post a Comment